Sunday, June 10, 2012

The 1st of Many to Come

Yesterday, the doctors, Dan, and myself believe Sophie had her very 1st seizure. Usually we celebrate firsts, but not this one. We knew it was coming, but with everything we have read and heard from the doctor, we didn't anticipate it happening already.

I was helping set up for my sister's bridal shower. Around 11 am my grandmother and sister-in-law was playing with Sophie, fed her, and then Sophie was really fussy so I took her from my grandmother and all of a sudden Sophie went limp, he eyes rolled back in her head father than I have ever seen and he lips went blue. I had to "slap" her back to focus on me and I just felt in my heart that it was indeed a seizure. Sophie slept the rest of the day. She woke up for a couple of 30-45 minute installments where she was fed, but then she puked it up. Sorry, Faith!

I talked to my friend Kate, her daughter has a rare form of epilepsy, and she told me what I needed to do. I called Sophie's heart doctor and he told us that he believed it was a seizure and not cardiac related. He advised us to call her peds doctor. Dr. Adenuga was on call so I was able to speak with him. Dr. Nuga advised us that we needed to bring her in so she could be evaluated. I hesitated because I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to believe this was all happening.

Dan, Shane, Sophie and I sat down for dinner and Sophie had just woken up again. I gave her a bottle. After 1 ounce Sophie lips turned blue and she puked again. I left immediately and took her to Bixby. Once we arrived Sophie was rushed right in. There were 4 nurses and 1 doctor around Sophie all at the same time. I was impressed at how quickly they moved with her. Sophie was given an IV and she was such a trooper. The man who did it got it on the first try. That has never happened with Soph! She only fussed for a moment until I have her the rest of her bottle and she was happy. Dan got there and he was trying to comfort Sophie who was mostly mad at the fact that she couldn't put her arm behind her head with it being tapped to a board with her IV. He couldn't calm her down. I took her, we stood up and swayed back and forth. Puke....again. I was covered. Sophie slept after that.

U of M peds neurology was called and they are going to call me Monday to get Sophie is either Monday or Tuesday. I will be up there Monday so say some prayers that they can get her in that afternoon. Sophie is going to be so mad at me Monday because it is going to be a long day. Peds Neuro is going to have to clear Sophie for surgery on Thursday. Her surgery can't wait. Please believe with me that everything will stay according to plan.

Today Sophie is tired. This morning she was doing motor boats and babbling. She is now sleeping. I am going to go take her out of her car seat and cuddle with her the rest of the day. She sure knows how to keep me on my toes.


No comments:

Post a Comment